Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Dear _____,

Person selling "inflammable mattresses"...  Was that supposed to be inflatable mattresses?

Theo...  You're babbling all the time (with some intelligible words), and one of your latest things is slobbery kisses.  You're growing so fast!  Still, I won't be entirely satisfied until you start walking.  And you have just a little over a month.  Please, please, please!

Bucket showers...  How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways...  Hold on.  I'm going to have to think about this.  Wait, I'm still thinking.  ...Yeah, not coming up with anything.

Germain...  You totally cracked me up that night your were singing "God is so good."  For the last line, instead of singing "He's so good to me", you substituted names.  You were on quite a roll.  Papa, Mama, baby Theo, Auntie Rachel, Marie, Petit...then some family friends...then the wrestlers you'd seen on TV the week before.

Motorist wearing clothes that blended into the dark...  I saw just your moto lights and your helmet.  That was rather creepy.

Rivka Malka...  Your scarf-tying videos are ah-ma-zing.  I love them.  I love your styles and color combinations.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Right hand/Left hand...  Right, you've become my new (though not completely graceful) normal.  Left, I'm almost afraid of you sometimes.  Like, Oh no, I touched _____ with my left hand.  Sometimes it's not even a utensil.  Sometimes it's a pen.  While I'm writing.  Which I'm pretty sure is NOT an issue.

TV5.com...  You were so full of possibilities for Phase 5.  Documentaries, news programs, travel and cooking shows, and so much more!

Time sheets...  Although I said au 'voir to you last month, I still sometimes feel lost without you.

Firefox t-shirt wearing guy...  I feel judged.  (Yes, I use MSIE.)


Guys working on construction in the dark...  Now I know why the buildings here look the way they do sometimes.  Also...midnight is really too late to be banging and pounding away like it's going out of style.

Mediterranean...  You remind me of California, which makes me happy and homesick all at once.

Spanish worship music...  Sometimes I just can't help but fall under the charm of my first love, Spanish, so I listen to you instead of trying to find French songs.

Paper chain from old calendar pages...  I made you last month to count down the remaining hours of French classes.  I briefly thought of making another to count down the days to my return to the US, but I realized I had (have, actually) too many mixed emotions about that.

Blood-thirsty mosquito...  Could you at least have the decency to not bite the bottom of my foot?!!

Certain brand of green tea...  You may be bitter - too bitter to drink, no matter how diluted - but you sure do make a good skin toner.

Enchilada sauce...  I used my last can of you a couple weeks ago.  So it's goodbye, but not for long!

Moving guys...  You tried to hoist a couch up to the balcony just below me, and you lost your grip.  The couch tumbled and broke some tiles on the roof over the boutique.  I only hope no one was standing in there at that point.

Angèle...  Threatening to go on a hunger strike so I'll stay?  That's cute.  It makes me feel loved and wanted.  But...don't actually follow through.  That wouldn't be good.  (Also, while I do like feeling wanted, the flip side is that it makes me feel guilty for leaving.)

West Africa...  I'm going to miss you.  Don't worry, you'll get your own post.

No comments:

Post a Comment