Monday, February 12, 2018

A Bit of Inspiration


After work, I came home and sat in my living room, soaking up every glorious ray of sunshine possible before starting on dinner.  Winter can sometimes feel a bit long and colorless around here, and after the weekend's endless piles of snow to shovel, a sunny day was most welcome.  I stayed curled up on the couch until the sun dipped behind the school and the room was no longer golden and warm-looking.

Perhaps it was browsing on Pinterest earlier or perhaps it was the sun's magic, but I had a sudden inspiration for dinner.

First, I took the orangetti squash that had been waiting patiently in my kitchen for a couple weeks.  I halved it and roasted it face down at 400° until it was tender.  I'd never tried one before, but it's a lot like a spaghetti squash only orange and slightly more robust in flavor.

Meanwhile, I made a sauce of melted butter, fresh minced garlic, thinly shredded spinach leaves, bacon bits, Parmesan, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

When the squash was ready, I took one half, fluffed the strands, tossed them with the sauce, and topped it all with sliced green onions.

It was positively delicious.  Inspired.  Or inspirational.  Or...something.

Now I need to figure out what to try with the other half tomorrow.  I'm thinking a cold salad-type dish...

No comments:

Post a Comment