Monday, February 26, 2018

Worn Truth

The sun is shining, the squirrels are out, the sap is running, and bulb flowers are starting to poke their little green heads up out of the soil.

Spring is so close, you can almost smell it!

- - -


This Monday, I'm thankful for truths that are like flannel.

It's good and necessary and exciting to dig in to God's Word, to study it deeply, to let it teach us new things.

But perhaps sometimes we don't need to learn something new as much as we need to be reminded of the truth we already know.

Do you have a favorite flannel shirt or old blanket that you reach for again and again?  It's soft, warm, and familiar.  Age and frequent use have made them particularly cozy, even comforting.

I think it can be much the same with passages of Scripture.  Last night I was feeling anxious and the thoughts swirling around in my head left me unsettled.  A cup of tea, a quiet evening at home, and nice, calm music weren't enough to do the trick.  But the Lord brought Psalm 23 to my mind - a Psalm I've known by heart for probably at least 20 years.

Over and over it I went line by line, just letting those well-worn truths settle me before bed.

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.

He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

I know the words themselves and have experienced the truths behind them many times over, yet they've lost none of their power through the testing of time.  In fact, they're even more meaningful and dear to me because I know them so well. 

So let's learn!  But let's not discount what God has already taught us.  Let's reach for those truths - like a favorite flannel - in times of need, tucking ourselves into the peace they offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment