Monday, June 27, 2011

He Already Sees

(I couldn't come up with an original title for today's post, so I'm borrowing the title from a song I really like.)

You know, it's been a long time since God has done something the way I expected Him to.  Last week's craft boutique was the latest in a long string of I-thought-I-knew-how-this-was-going-to-turn-out-but-God-had-something-else-in-mind.

Sales stunk.  Really.  Five items in two days…not exactly the smashing success that I'd hoped for.  As we packed up on day two, it seemed like a wasted effort.  No profit to show for our hours of hard work and long days of sitting.  We were taking the awning down when a man from a neighboring booth approached us.  Michelle had visited with him and his wife earlier in the day, and in the course of the conversation, told them that we were both students at New Tribes Mission.  She also explained what New Tribes does and what we are hoping to do in the future.  It turns out they were believers.  But back to the part where he walked up to our table…

…and held a bill towards us, saying, "My wife felt impressed to give this to you."  I was too surprised to say anything more than, "Thank you."  That simple gift was such a precious reminder that the Lord sees things differently than we do.  If we'd have known the extent of our sales, neither one of us would have considered going.  The math just didn't add up.  Funny, I never seem to allow for God's greatness and creativity in all my calculating.  His provisions aren't tied to people being impressed by our nice displays of coasters and hats and baby booties.  No matter how many times I think I've finally got things figured out, the Lord always reminds me, "It's still by faith, not by sight."  And it's comforting to know that He already sees what's on the other side of each obstacle we face.

Wasted trip?  Part of me says, "I wouldn't have spent so much time on those silly earrings and coasters if I'd have known they wouldn't sell!"  But I got to see Patty, a good family friend, and meet one of her pastors and his wife.  I got to see Esther and Michelle and meet some of their families.  And most of all, the Lord gave me yet another chance to see His hand in my life.

I am thankful for that.

I am thankful for the things we did sell.

I am thankful for safety on the drive there and back.

I am thankful for Patty's friendship and generosity.

I am thankful for my dear sisters in Christ, Michelle and Esther.

And I am thankful that God doesn't do things the way I would.

---

Walking by faith is the most difficult, scary, exciting, rewarding thing in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment