Thursday, November 8, 2018

The Story of Stories


I've been pondering The Story a lot lately.

It's not only the greatest story of all time, it's the story of time and beyond.

As the holidays approach, I find my thoughts going to Advent over and over - the coming of the Deliverer, this hinge on which history itself swings.

It is no ancient tale in parchment and ink.  This Story is alive.

I trace it through His Word, right from the first page until the last.  Real people, actors in the Story, reflecting struggles and weakness of my own heart.  Themes woven skillfully into an unfolding plot. The promises of a faithful God, unthwarted by evil in every generation.  All of it building, building, building...

In the last couple weeks I feel like I've heard it everywhere, chapels and class and special speakers saying -

Your story takes its meaning, its purpose from that one big, over-arching Story.
Play your role in the Story, the role that God has given you.  It's not about you.
Stay down inside the Story.

I'm mulling over what that means, to stay down inside God's Story.  The idea is somehow awe-inspiring and terrifying and humbling and comforting all at the same time.  I try, sometimes, to peer into the foggy future and guess where my life, my little story, will take me.  And yet it almost doesn't matter.  I know how The Story ends.  He told us.  We, His children, will be with Him...and the end never truly ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment