Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Dear _____,

Switched-around dates… You still trip me up sometimes.  Like last week when I looked at the carton of chocomousse and saw the expiration date: 02/08/14.  I was like, "Oh no, it's March!  That stuff is expired!  Oh, wait.  02/08.  That means August 2nd."

Green skillet on display outside a store that sells household items…  You're exactly the same as the one I brought with me from the States.  I had to chuckle.

Guy whose heels I tripped over…  You responded to my apologetic pardon with "Oh, no problem."  In English.  Then you turned around again and looked at me…"Hey, do you remember me from last time?" Last time?  Sorry, dude.  I have no clue who you are.  No. clue.  (Side note: I'm surprised people aren't constantly tripping over each other – there are so many people everywhere.)

Ramen noodles…  You take three minutes, according to the package.  Unless, of course, the gas can runs out before the water starts to boil.  Then it's about 20 minutes: disconnecting the gas can, carrying it down to the boutique around the corner, carrying the full can back up, connecting it, getting the water going again.

Person reading an electricity bill while walking down the street…  Ooo, how much did you pay?

Cat eating something (who knows what) on the patio outside class…  Ugh.  That looked disgusting.  Please go somewhere else.

Fuzz on the floor…  I had my hands full, so I stomped on you, thinking you were a…mosquito.  (You didn't think I'd stomp on a cockroach, did you?  Never.  Not with bare feet, anyway.)  I looked again, only to see you for what you were.  At that very instant, a real mosquito breezed past me, triumphantly noting my inability to swat at it.  (You might not think mosquitoes could be triumphant, but trust me on this one.)

Onions…  Yes, yes.  Sniffle.  I'm okay.  Really.  I'm not having a breakdown, although the amount of tears streaming down my face could lead you to believe that.
 
Friend (you know who you are)...  HAP-PY BIRTHDAY!!!  Always remember, if you learn a lot, you'll age soon.  The flip side being, of course, the less you know, the more soundly you sleep. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment