Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Little victories (and a bit of rambling)

“Celebrate the small victories,” one of the other missionaries told me, “because it will be a while before you see the big ones."
 
Like finding a bus (one I’d never taken before) that was going where I wanted to go, without someone I know specifically telling me, “I’ve taken bus x from point a to point b.”
 
Feeling familiar enough with the neighborhood to try a new way home – knowing that even if it didn’t take me where I thought it would, I wouldn’t be lost.
 
Noticing a subtle change in how the girls and ladies at church greet me.
 
Small things, yes.
 
I shouldn’t forget, but I probably would if I didn’t write them down.
 
 
It’s March and I’m still shamelessly listening to Christmas music.  I’ve lost all sense of the seasons. :)  Yup, Joy to the World, pumpkin goodies and iced tea all at once.  That can do weird things to your mind.  Or maybe French is doing weird things to my mind.
 
Anyway, about the Christmas music…it’s not just for December.
 
I don’t mean Frosty and silver bells and sleigh rides.  I mean peace.  Joy.   Emmanuel.  How God came down, lived among us, is still with us.
 
It’s a truth I need every. single. day.
 
 
We’ve picked up our pace with the Bible stories – in the last two weeks we’ve gone through Esther, Job, Daniel, Jonah, and now we’re in the New Testament.
 
Matthew 14.  If you’ve been around here much at all, you know I love that chapter (especially the last part).  Have you ever wondered about the twelve baskets of leftovers?  I mean, it was miraculous enough that 5000+ people were fed with five loaves and two fish.  But what was the point in so much surplus?  Honestly, I don’t have a real answer to that.  But I do think that, perhaps, God wanted to remind them – and us – that He is not a stingy God.  He’s an abundant God.  Dazzlingly abundant.
 
The disciples had their stomachs filled along with everyone else; they’d seen with their own eyes how nothing could faze Jesus.  How He could be relied on.  Trusted.
 
And yet the next part of the chapter is an almost pitiful account of fear and lack of faith on the part of the disciples.
 
After we listen to the chapters in class, Marie-Claude retells the story in her own words.  She got to the part where Peter is out on the water.  “The wind was strong,” and I thought she’d follow that with, “so Peter started sinking.”  But the instead she continued, “So Peter was afraid.  Then he started sinking.”  That made me stop to think.  After all, it wasn’t really the wind that caused him to sink, was it?
 
I sense an application there…
 
But it’s so much easier to blame things on circumstances, isn’t it.
 
We sink because the waves are too high.  Because circumstances are too rough.  Because situations are overwhelming.
 
And yet it really all comes back to trust.
 
 
He is the Mighty One.  He is the Hero.  Nothing will undo Him.
 
To wrap up, here are a few good links:
A Sunday morning for my friends Lindsey and Dawn
 

No comments:

Post a Comment