Friday, March 14, 2014

Everyday life: Hobbies

Before I came, one of the girls who was already here strongly encouraged me to bring a hobby (or some games) with me.
 
It was good advice.
 
 
Life anywhere can be stressful at times, and having a way to de-stress is definitely a good thing.  I'd say that living in a new culture makes that a non-optional.
 
You could argue that it's a non-optional anywhere.
 
And I'd probably agree with you. :)
 
Anyway. 
 
 
I love Lark Rise to Candleford.
 
With popcorn.  Buttered, with ranch seasoning.  It makes me think of Esther.
 
I could almost consider eating popcorn one of my hobbies!  Not quite.
 
 
For those of you who've perhaps been puzzled by my use of the expression "_____ is my one weakness" (when I must obviously have more than one), it's a line one of the characters often uses.
 
And for those of you who are Lark Rise fans, here's a trivia question for you: What was Miss Lane's first "one weakness"?
 
 
 
It's amazing how many fun crafty things can be fit into a shoe box.
 
 
 
 
Note cards aren't as available here as they are in the States, but I brought paper with me so I can make my own as the need arises.
 
The paper also serves other crafty purposes - the bunting in my living room is an example.
 
 
I'm not sure what I like making better: cards or envelopes (from magazine pages).  They're both fun.  Envelope making takes less creativity, though.  And is therefore less draining on my brain's battery.  Not that card making is unrelaxing, it just takes more thought. :)
 
 
 
Boxes within a box within a box.
 
I love my shoe box.  It's like a little treasure chest bursting with possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment