Saturday, October 6, 2018

In the Blink of An Eye


She texted to tell me they found out they're having a daughter.

A daughter!!!

I squealed and told her I couldn't be happier for them, and then time froze for a moment while I shook my head, bewildered -

Wasn't it just yesterday that we were pony-tailed pre-teens writing letters to each other with gel pens and "WWJD?" on the envelopes?

Wasn't it just yesterday that we went to Apple Hill and got pizza and I saw my first snowfall ever?  (It was a momentous occasion to see snow in real life!)

Wasn't it just yesterday that we made glow-in-the-dark lanyards and had sleep-overs and talked long into the night?

Wasn't it just yesterday that we both had braces and my eyebrows were awkwardly thick?

Wasn't their commissioning service just yesterday, followed by teary good-byes, emails (back in the days of dial-up internet!), and rare international phone calls?

How did we get to be this old so fast?!

And yet here were are.

Time has mellowed us, softened some edges, deepened faith.  What feels like yesterday - the blink of an eye - is fifteen, eighteen, nearly twenty years ago.

How different life has turned out from how we imagined it would when we were teens...and yet how very good God has been to each of us.

Britt, I can't wait to meet your little girl someday and to watch the Lord teach and shape and grow her as He so faithfully has done for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment