Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Beauty of Enough


Perfectionism and performance have been my default for about two decades, but God in His persistent grace has been teaching me another way.

When He declared It is finished, that spoke not only to what needed to happen for my eternal salvation, but also my day-to-day walk with Him.  He has done what needs to be done for a friendship to exist between us.

My impossible standards and everlasting to-do lists add absolutely nothing to that friendship.

There's something so wonderful about coming to the end of the day and saying, Enough.  Even if the to-do list isn't finished, even if projects were left for another day, even if all the evening has held is dinner and its clean-up...that's okay.  I could do more, but I don't have to.  It's enough.

It feels like a novel idea, and yet it's been so deeply refreshing, so much more helpful for keeping my focus where it needs to be - enjoying the Lord instead of trying to impress Him.

If the Almighty God who could have created the universe in a single instant chose instead to take six days for creation and then rest on the seventh, perhaps my living, too, should be paced instead of all frantic and rushed.

I love this freedom, truth that I'm only just beginning to take hold of for my everyday life, though it's been there all along.  I stumble along in it with all the elegance of a child learning to walk - but I'm learning!  He's teaching me, answering this plea to understand His easy yoke, to experience His rest.

He is good and faithful and wholly sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment