Monday, October 29, 2018

October Reads


This month a theme developed by accident: home decor and style.  I don't mind...it is part of my job, after all, and I'm always on the lookout for fresh inspiration in both the guest house and my own home.

Simple Decorating | Michaels: I didn't care this one for a ton.  It wasn't poorly written, and while there were lots of decent ideas, it just wasn't me.  Points for pretty, colorful pictures and manageable project sizes, though!

Hearts of Fire | Voice of the Martyrs: Obviously this book wasn't part of my theme.  It included the stories of eight women in the underground church (in several different countries) and their testimonies of following Christ.  This is not a fluffy, feel-good read; the high cost of faith rings loud and clear from each page.  One thing I loved was the reminder that God strengthens His children in what He calls them to face.  As I read these accounts of intense persecution and often torture, I saw how He gave these ladies the courage to be bold and cling to the truth.  A worthwhile read, for sure.

City Farmhouse Style | Leggett & Saylor: One of my favorites.  It was all about capturing the cozy, charming feel of farmhouses no matter where you lived or what kind of architecture you were working with.  I wanted to tour all the lovely homes she featured.

Bring the Outdoors In | Powers: The title seemed right up my alley, but I found it uninspiring, impractical, and none of the projects seemed even remotely like things I'd want to try.  Oh, well.  It was a free book.  Easy come, easy go!

Reluctant Entertainer | Coughlin: I've read so many hospitality books this year - some great, some mediocre.  This wasn't my top favorite, but I really enjoyed her section on how to ask good questions and draw guests out in conversations.  I want to be better at that.  I also appreciated her emphasis on the heart of hospitality: it doesn't have to be perfect, just enjoy your guests no matter what.


Homes with Soul | Robinzon: Excellent pictures.  A variety of architectural and design styles were included.  The font was weird - too many different ones mixed together, with the bulk of the text being quite tiny (even for someone with good eyesight).  I also found the content of the text to be super weird, but the pictures made up for it.  Mostly.

Reclaim That | Heeringa: A guide to "upcycling with style", it was filled with mostly vintage-feel pieces and how-to's.  I liked her charming style, her color palate, and her kitchen.  She is very creative in her furniture make-overs as well.  Fun fact: this book was written and published in Australia.  I always love making note of subtle differences in the designs, architecture, and even vocabulary of other English-speaking countries.  The one complaint I have is poor editing; for example, a sentence from one paragraph was sometimes repeated word for word in the paragraph right below it.  Still, an enjoyable read indeed.

Country Style | Örnberg: This book was originally published in Sweden, and the bright, fresh spirit of Scandinavian decor shines through.  Lots of white space and splashes of color.  Cozy and homey with a bit of the unexpected thrown in.  There are detailed how-to's for making many of the projects shown.  Fun read.

Flea Markets Finds | Mead: Disappointingly poor quality photos.  A few fun things here and there, but not terribly inspiring overall.

Magnolia Table | Gaines: Such a fun cookbook!  I love people who write about food and family together, and she does that very well, talking about how she involves her family in meals, which recipes are the kids' favorites, and so on.  Also (a must for me when it comes to cookbooks) there were lots of good pictures - and the recipes themselves looked delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment