Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Pumpkin Spice Post


I arrived in Senegal in August, 2013 - during hot season.  September and October rolled around, and while it was fall in the US, our weather only became more miserably humid and hot.

Facebook, Pinterest, and emails from home sent me into (mostly) inner tizzies of discontent.  While sweat literally dripped off me and I had a brutal heat rash for weeks, my friends talked about the crisp air, the turning leaves, and of course, everything pumpkin spice.  I hated it. 

When I moved back to the States two years later, I was so eager for the arrival of pumpkin spice lattes.  I think I grabbed one with my sister as soon as they hit Starbucks.

Turns out...I actually don't even like them at all!  I thought I did because everyone else seemed to, but mostly because I couldn't have them and that just wasn't fair.

Oh, Rachel.  So foolish of you.

Now I'm the one with fall while many of my friends are in fall-less climates.  Should I feel guilty?  Should I avoid mentioning fall things so they don't hate me?  Should I keep fall at arm's length for their sake?

This year the Lord has been changing my thinking, urging me: Celebrate.

I've felt such a wonderful freedom, soaking in all this beauty that He's made, embracing the colors and flavors and scents and traditions that go along with this season.  He is the Giver of good gifts, but He doesn't give all of us the same gifts, nor does He necessarily give us the same gifts for our entire lives.

Senegal was a place of many gifts (often hard ones).  I can remember them, grateful for the impact they continue to have on my life even today.  And I can receive all the gifts that go along with this place, this chapter of my story.

I can celebrate these graces from my Father who loves me, enjoying them to the fullest, yet holding them with open hands because they given to me today, not for all time.

What gifts will He choose for me tomorrow, next year, ten years from now?  They will be good, that much I know.

And today, I celebrate...today.

No comments:

Post a Comment