Saturday, April 16, 2011

God's Love

It comes in many ways.  It comes in the gentle rays of sunshine after a rainy day.  In the joyful warble of a songbird.  In the blooming redbud, the sunny daffodils, or the bubbling of a stream.  It comes in a child's innocent smile.  In a simple word of encouragement, or the warmth and comfort of a friend's hug.

It comes in a pounding headache.  Did I just jolt you awake?!  Well, let me continue.  It comes in a string of restless, weary nights.  It comes in those days when all you want to do is cry – then realize you're too exhausted to even do that.  It comes in disappointments, in things that just don't turn out the way you thought they would – and you're left reeling from the impact of sudden plan changes.  (I've experienced all of those this week.)

That's God's love – just as much as the sun and songbirds and flowers.  Really? You're kidding.  No, I'm not.  But maybe I've missed something before.  Maybe I need a new view on suffering and trials.  Maybe I need to stop thinking that if I'm trusting God and walking in obedience, He'll bless me with an easy life.

As the song asks, "What if Your blessings come through raindrops?  What if Your healing comes through tears?  What if the thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near?  What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?"


The beauty of the Christian life is not that there will be no hard times.  It's not that our lives and everything in them will forever be peachy-keen.  Oh no.  God hasn't promised us comfortable, easy lives.  He promised that He would be there with us in the good, the bad, and the ugly.  More than that, He gives us those trials to grow our hearts, to stretch our faith.  To help us see our desperate need for Him.  To help us see His deep longing for us to be close to Him.  That's the beauty in our lives.

My uncle says, "If you pray to know God more, He will give you a gift, all wrapped up in love.  That gift is suffering."  A dear friend prayed for me last week, Lord, help her embrace the pain.  Can I pray that for myself?  Can we pray that for each other?

How deeply do we - do I - want to know Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment