Friday, April 22, 2011

Hitherto

You know those times when you say something to a friend, intending to encourage them, and then the reality of what you're saying hits you?  I was going through an old notebook and came across a poem I'd written for a friend last semester.  The words had me staring into my own heart - with all my worrying, my fretting, my fears, my lack of trust.  But shining through that dismal view was GOD'S faithfulness.  As surely as He has led her and taken care of her, He will take care of me.  He doesn't change.  So without further commentary, here's the poem.

~Hitherto~

1 Samuel 7:12b - Hitherto (or 'thus far') the LORD has helped us...

By Your help to this place I've come
Even though I seem alone
And my strength is almost gone
Still I know You will lead me home

Hitherto Your grace has blessed me
Hitherto Your love has shone
Hitherto Your Spirit has kept me
And I know You will lead me home


Empty, desolate, dismayed
As I wait on You to move
Fondest hopes on this altar laid
That sufficient You may prove

Poured out like a broken vase
My soul longs for You, my Rock
Help me, Lord, Your will embrace
In the wealth of Your grace to walk

Tears of anguish still often flow
Lord, forgive my unbelief
I shall see Your might, I know
And my soul find sweet relief

No comments:

Post a Comment