Tuesday, April 5, 2011

That was in MY refrigerator?!

Have you ever been digging around in your refrigerator when you found some forgotten food - you're not even sure what it was originally - all the way in the back?  What do you do?  Quickly slam the door shut, tell yourself, "That was too gross to be in my refrigerator", and just pretend you never saw it?  If you're anything like me, you probably snatch it out, hold it far from you, and run to the garbage can to throw it out (making faces all the way).  You shudder and chide yourself for allowing something so...well...repulsive to stay in your refrigerator.  When confronted with that rotten whatever-it-used-to-be, none of us would consider just leaving it.  We want to get it OUT!!!

But when God shows me something equally repulsive in my heart, what is my instinctive response?  "No way!  That's way too gross to be in MY heart!"  And I try to ignore it, hoping it will "go away" on it's own.  I'd never dream of doing that with rotten food, but I have no compunctions about doing that with my sin, which is far more serious and disgusting than spoiled food.  I suspect I'm not the only one.  What hypocrites we can be, no?

God is faithful to show us our sin.  What will we do when He shows us?

No comments:

Post a Comment