Friday, May 18, 2012

Basking in the grace

I randomly pulled a book (Grace for the Good Girl) off my shelf, where it has been patiently waiting for me to finish my current series.

After flipping through a couple chapters, my eyes fell on these two sentences: "If I am trying to please God, it is difficult to trust God.  But when I trust God, pleasing Him is automatic."

It was one of those dramatic light-bulb moments.  Suddenly I understood why trusting God (quickly, completely, joyfully) has been such a struggle all these years.  Because I was focused on pleasing Him. I had the cart before the horse.

I decided to visit the author's blog, and boy am I glad I did!   God knew there were some things I needed to be reminded of again.

She writes about not letting productivity become an idol and not confusing the urgent and the important.   About the mosaic that grace creates in our lives.   About getting "carried away by grace".   About the fear that it will be abused.

I sat there tearing up because...because... God's grace is such a breath of fresh air.  After all these years, I'm just learning how to accept God's grace.   Many times I don't even quite know what to do with it - or I should say, how to respond to it.   So free! so abundant! so...extravagant.

What can I say but, Thank You, Lord for loving me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment