Thursday, May 3, 2012

Runaway

Jonah - The Runaway Prophet.

Kind of ironic, isn't it?  A man whose job was to be a spokesman for God - and we see him pack up and run when God gives him an assignment he doesn't like.

His rebellion endangers the lives of an entire ship's crew.  He finally preaches as he was commanded to, but his heart obviously isn't right.  He angrily confronts God for showing mercy to the people of Nineveh.  He sulks when circumstances aren't to his liking (think of the vine that withered).  He even says it would be better for him to die!  (Seriously, Jonah, was life that rough?!  Sin has a way of grossly distorting our perspective, doesn't it?)

And God STILL loved His runaway prophet!!

---

Maybe one of the reasons I like Jonah's story is because I can relate to it on so many levels.  I know, I shouldn't be able to say that.  I'm a good girl.  Going into missions, no less.  I'm not what you'd typically think of when you hear the word "runaway".  But...

Last year I found myself in Jonah's sandals.  Right smack in the middle of doing God's will for my life - missions training along with plenty of other very Christian things - and there was an area I simply would not yield to Him.  Someone He wanted me to love and I wouldn't.  I ignored His call to "Nineveh" at first; then I fought it; and finally, I ran because I wanted nothing more than to escape what He was asking me to do.

Can I just say that running from God is simply not. worth. it.  At all.  It's impossible to run from God and it's exhausting (not to mention miserable) to try.

When I finally got to the point where I was desperate enough to be thrown overboard, so to speak, I thought the saga was almost over.  However, in the months that followed, I found myself sulking or upset that God was giving someone a chance they "didn't deserve".  (Really?!  Like I hadn't experienced the same grace from God?)

I'm happy to say that while I don't know how Jonah's story ends, I do know what God has done in my heart.

And I know He loved this runaway missionary-in-training through every moment of her struggle.

---

So when I read the story of Jonah, I remind myself that "being in ministry" doesn't mean immunity from colossal failure.

But I also think of my Father's grace in giving me a second chance (and third and fourth and 379th chance).  And I think of His relentless love that allows the storms, the whales, the worms and withering vines in my life to grab my attention and lead me back to Him.  He loves me too much to let me go without intervening.

When I really see that love, I do run - but not away.  I run to the place where I belong: His arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment