Tuesday, May 15, 2012

From "Wait" to "Yes": A new answer to an old prayer

[This post originally appeared on my NTM blog.]

After more than a year of praying and looking for a job, God answered with a “Yes!”  I’m planning to spend two months this Summer working at a nearby Christian camp.



What I’ll be doing: most of my shifts will be spent in the kitchen – washing dishes, preparing veggies, refilling coffee stations, waiting on tables, etc. – but occasionally I might be helping out with housekeeping/cleaning

How long I’ll be there: early June – early August

What I’m looking forward to most: making new friends, working on a team, and learning more tips on cooking/serving for large groups

What I’m apprehensive about: sharing a room (I’ve had my own for almost as long as I can remember), dealing with allergies while I’m working, and the possibility of encountering snakes

Essential camp skill I don’t have: swimming (perhaps now would be the time to learn?)

Emergency plan for dealing with big, hairy spiders: spray, squash, wipe up (repeat as needed)

What I hope I have time for: writing letters, reading a book or two, taking walks, and blogging

Why I considered being involved in Camp Ministry for the Summer: Gaining both work AND ministry experience at the same time was quite appealing to me.  Applying to a Christian camp was an idea that the Lord laid on my heart after I’d prayed that He would help me think outside the box when it came to job hunting.  It wasn’t the kind of job I would have imagined getting, but I’m really excited to see what the Lord has in store through it!

How I see this preparing me for my future ministry: It will give me opportunities to depend on the Lord – and see Him at work – in new ways.  It will give me more experience being part of a team and help me learn to appreciate (and work with) the differences God has given each of us.  Also, because my job is more “behind-the-scenes” instead of directly with the campers, I’ll need to be intentional about building relationships with them.  I have a feeling discipleship is another area the Lord will be teaching me in, as I watch the staff and learn how they balance work/ministry, family, etc.  And who knows who God will put in my path to encourage and help along the way?



So there you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment