Friday, February 11, 2011

Anatomy of a Friday

It was a simply glorious morning!  Fourteen degrees below freezing, yes, but I could feel the sun!  We have chapel every Friday, which is always a great start to the morning.  After chapel, we meet in our small groups - known as E-Linc - for coffee, tea, treats, and stimulating discussions.  It's definitely a highlight of my week.  Then, we only have two class periods after that instead of the usual four.  It's all so very nice I find myself lulled into thinking, "Okay, the week is winding down.  Next big thing on the agenda is the weekend." :)

...Until the clock strikes noon.  Suddenly, I launch into "Panic" mode.  Fridays have historically been my busiest day of the week here at school: a hasty lunch after classes, an hour of cleaning, leaving for the nursing home at 1:40.  (Don't forget the time it takes to walk from one place to another!)  My friend and I would spend a couple of hours there and then do our grocery shopping on the way home.  Usually, we'd get back close to 5:00.  Only this semester, I also have class for an hour in the afternoon from 1:20-2:20.  AND it's a longer walk to our new classroom.

As soon as classes let out today, I went straight to the Wash House to start cleaning.  I was feeling so scattered as we rushed around cleaning.  Looking up at the timer, I found myself thinking, "Twenty more minutes.  I can do this."  Then the Lord reminded me, "No, you can't get this done.  Not by yourself.  But it's alright.  I specialize in working through weakness."  And peace came over me in spite of the craziness.

I'm not Superwoman.  And it's okay.  I don't have to be, because my God is bigger and more powerful than my circumstances or inabilities.  The more difficult things seem, the more I realize my need to rely on Him.  That has been a painful yet blessed thing to see.

Anyway, after cleaning, I went back to class - managed to eat something in between! - and then up to the apartment to grab a few things before meeting Esther to go the nursing home.  It was the first time I'd been back this semester.  Jeannette, one of my favorite ladies, lit up when she saw me.  As she was wheeled over to the table where I was sitting, she said, "Rachel, I'm so glad to have you as a friend!"  She was grinning from ear to ear.  And you know what?  That made it all worthwhile.

So, at the end of the day, it's all good.  Not always easy.  Not always fun.  Sometimes a little on the wild side.  But with Jesus, every single moment is worth living.  He is so awesome!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment