Monday, February 21, 2011

Time for an adjustment

An attitude adjustment, that is.  This morning started out dreary and rainy. It matched my mood rather well.  Without classes today, I had no reason to rush out the door.  Sitting at the kitchen table, I was trying to read my Bible – didn’t even touch my cup of tea – but instead I started griping, “I have a day off and nothing exciting to do.  Seriously, so-and-so is doing that and so-and-so is going there…and why do they have to have all the fun?  I’m stuck here and I can’t even do anything outside because it’s raining.  And my house is a mess again…but I don’t feel like cleaning it because it’ll just be dirty the next time I turn around…And the situation that’s been going on for months that I thought would be taken care of by now is still unresolved, but it’s looking worse and worse…And that stupid smoke alarm has been beeping for a WEEK and it’s starting to drive me crazy…My mind is just a complete haze right now…And I have a headache AGAIN…”  (I know, it sounds so ugly once you realize what you’re actually thinking.)

Suddenly, a thought from last week flashed into my mind: “Discontentment leaves us vulnerable to temptation.”  I sat up straighter and wondered, “Yikes!  Haven’t I already yielded to temptation?  I’ve been telling God how lousy my day is going to be instead of thanking Him for giving me another day.”  And the weight lifted from my shoulders.  The headache was still there.  The mess was still there.  Everything else was the same.  But my perspective was radically different.  Like going to the chiropractor – one snap and you feel like a new person.  (At least, so I’ve been told.)  God is so faithful to speak to me and bring my attention back to HIM.

After all, life shouldn’t sound like a funeral dirge when it was meant to be a song.

Since I had extra time on my hands today...



The monstrosity lurking in our mud room.  I keep the door closed and try to pretend that it's not there.



Inspired by a friend's e-mail, I lit a candle this morning.  Mmm, cinnamon...And that's the view from my kitchen window.



Proof that I DO clean my bathroom.



I didn't burn the beans this time.



Work detail is not without its kicks.  We found this old t-shirt in our rag supply today.  Michelle's comment: "Rachel, that shirt really fits you."

~~~

I've got my song back now.

"Lord, I'm amazed by You and how You love me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment