Friday, February 18, 2011

Three Cheers for Teamwork

In all honesty, being part of various teams here in training has been one of the biggest learning experiences - and one of the biggest blessings.  I'm so glad God put me on the teams that He has.  I've learned a lot about the Lord, about others - and yes, about myself (necessary, though not always pleasant) - that I would not have seen if I was on my own for everything.

In our culture/language learning practicum, our class is divided up into teams.  The are four others on my team, and I seriously couldn't have asked for a better team.  Teamwork really is a beautiful thing.  Each of us brings different strengths to the table.  One person has the knack for coming up with really insightful questions.  Another person takes charge of compiling team plans and does a beautiful job.  Someone else jumps in and keeps conversations from lagging.  Still another takes care of the technical side by recording and taking pictures for future reference.  When one of us can't think of how to explain something or answer a "sticky" question, we have four others who can help us out. I n one area, one of us might have more of a rapport with our language helper, but another is sure to connect in a different way.  We have the benefit of five different personalities and perspectives as we tackle the overwhelming task of diving into a new culture.  We know that we can depend on each other - and whatever happens, we're in it together.  Believe me, that is a HUGE comfort!  I love my team.

Each of us students are part of a community outreach team (there are about two dozen different teams).  I have the privilege of visiting a local nursing home with my wonderful friend and classmate Esther.  She is a joy to just be around, so going to the nursing home with her is definitely a blast.  Shared experiences - laughter or sorrow - always provide a common bond, no?  And believe me, there is plenty of laughter.  Today, Jeannette told me she wanted someone to protect her.  From what, she did not specify.  "Well, I'm sitting here with you," I offered.  Her face broke into a grin.  "Yeah," she chuckled.  I chuckled too.  Soft-spoken Marjorie called out to me from across the room at one point, "Your hair looks really pretty today!"  So cute.  And then there's Dixie.  She is such a kick!  She's partially deaf and told me once, "Never let a deaf person start talking.  They'll never stop!"  Then she laughed merrily and proceeded to tell me all about her dogs...and how much fun dogs shows are...and how when I had a family of my own, I must be sure to get dogs because the shows are so wonderful for the children...and so forth.  But some people are just so bubbly and fun you don't care if they talk your ear off.  Today I overheard her telling Esther, "You're an interesting person!"  What fun memories!

And finally, my work detail team...I've been blessed with a different girl to work with each semester.  The first semester it was my friend Rachel, who I also went to church with.  One of the benefits of tagging along with her so much was that everyone remembered my name.  Last semester it was dear friend Susie.  We had way too much fun working together.  I would give you more details, but I've been sworn to secrecy.  This semester it's new friend, fellow Californian, and hopefully future walking partner (nudge, nudge!) Michelle.  I honestly enjoy our hours spent together so much that I get excited at the thought of cleaning bathrooms.  It's one of the highlights of my week.  For real.

So there you have it.  Three cheers for teamwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment